In teaching Art we aim to:
- enable children to become visually literate and understand that art is a form of communication;
- enable children to use a wide range of media to communicate ideas and feelings;
- nurture and harness creativity and acquire and develop a range of skills and techniques;
- develop children’s capacity for imaginative and original thought and to try out ideas without the fear of failing. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ in art;
- enable children through observation to learn about the world around them;
- help children learn about the role of art, craft and design in their environment and take inspiration from it;
- enable children to become independent in the planning and reviewing of their work;
- enable children to develop their full potential confidently and independently.
Design and Technology involves applying knowledge and skills when designing and making products. The activities undertaken will enable our children to consider the needs of individuals and society within a caring community. Undertaking design and technology activities in school will give our children opportunities to use a range of materials and processes, and to work independently or as part of a team. We would hope that the activities undertaken here in Elmwood Infant School will also reflect the children’s local environment and support them in the wider world.
Art & Design around our school
Year 2 have been designing and making Wind Up Toys!